Monday, August 4, 2008

Armor of God: Part II


The American PASGT Kevlar Helmet of Salvation (Eph 6:17)

Weighing 4.2 lbs, this helmet is constructed of 19 layers of Kevlar. The helmet itself is commonly referred to as simply, "kevlar". 4.2 lbs doesn't sound like much until you consider that a bare human head weighs around 10 lbs. Wearing kevlar is like suddenly gaining another 50% of one's head weight. It caused many headaches until I was used to wearing it.

Below are just a few observations that I made about my Kevlar of Salvation.

Kevlar (as well as any other uniform headgear) protects from the Sun. I once made the mistake of not wearing any headgear for about an hour in the Sun. The burn on my head felt like someone had hit me with a rock.

It protects me from death. Unlike the protection offered by the IBA of Righteousness a penetrating blow to the head would most likely cause immediate death.

It protects my central nervous system - the part of me that controls everything, the center of understanding.

It is not a guarantee from injury. Though the parts of me that the Kevlar of Salvation protects are vitally important, it only covers a small portion of my body.

No comments: